About Me

My photo
I have studied art throughout my life starting at a young age being taught by my father, a book illustrator. I then went on to study at Moore College of Art and Design in Philadelphia, The Art Institute Online of Pittsburgh, and the Academy of Art University of San Francisco. My love of nature later inspired me to complete a Liberal Studies degree with a concentration in Environmental Science. I have created art that I printed on cards and commissioned to local gift shops. In 2010 I opened a small pet care business, which I still run, and started creating pet and animal-inspired art. While out with the animals, I take lots of photos that I later use as references for my art.

Friday, March 9, 2018

Artist and Pet Care: My Self Employed Life

Playing with my art in Print Shop

"The Rescues" pastel painting
I moved to Ohio just over a year ago and restarted my small pet care business and my pet inspired art business. My phone is filled, and I mean filled, with furbaby photos I take everyday. Some are my own two Maine Coon babies, others are of my pet care client's pets, and in between are photos I was lucky to get of the surrounding wildlife while out on dog walks or hiking the parks. I have collected a wealth of creative inspiration, but more so than the images, are the stories that go with them.

I love being self employed and doing what I do for many reasons, but one is that I don't miss out on the natural world who's heart is always beating strong all around us. I get to see the seasons change up close as birds migrate, animal's fur coats change, new young are born, and plants die off only to be reborn again later the next year. Along side these ongoing outdoor adventures, I get to step inside the private world's of my clients. I have a relationship with these people because we share a common thread, we love our furbabies and will go to greater lengths for them then most other people will ever realize. The pastor at my church had asked us around Christmas to step inside someone else's world to gain perspective on the people in our community. He suggested doing some volunteer work or to check in on a neighbor that you may have only said hi to in passing. I smiled because my profession allows me to do this every day, to step inside the world of my clients and put myself in their shoes.

As an artist, all of the photos I collect, all the the stories I witness, emerge on the canvas as an illustration of life, my self employed life. Above is my most recent pastel painting inspired by one of my client's who has rescued a few cats. I also attached an image of some design work I am playing around with these days. If you'd like to see more of my work and follow my self employed adventures, you can find me on Instagram and Facebook. Blessings! 🎨🐈

No comments:

Post a Comment