About Me

My photo
I have studied art throughout my life starting at a young age being taught by my father, a book illustrator. I then went on to study at Moore College of Art and Design in Philadelphia, The Art Institute Online of Pittsburgh, and the Academy of Art University of San Francisco. My love of nature later inspired me to complete a Liberal Studies degree with a concentration in Environmental Science. I have created art that I printed on cards and commissioned to local gift shops. In 2010 I opened a small pet care business, which I still run, and started creating pet and animal-inspired art. While out with the animals, I take lots of photos that I later use as references for my art.

Saturday, May 26, 2018

Happy Memorial Day Weekend!

Happy Memorial Day Weekend!!
 
Pen and watercolor illustration for print. https://sandybock.com/
Though you may not be picking anything out of your home garden yet, no doubt you're outside playing in the dirt this weekend. I learned to love having a home garden from my parents and my extended family. 

As a kid, I remember always being barefoot, climbing trees, and purple stained hands from the long summer days picking elderberries. Yum! I think that's where I grew to appreciate and have compassion for all creatures. Bats in particular seemed to love sleeping in the elderberry bushes, but they also kept the insect population under control. 

As a mom, when my kids were just wee ones, I grew a small vegetable garden and had a couple raspberry bushes. Kids love picking raspberries! I know because it was, and still is, my favorite! As we went through many tough years, as so many of us have, the garden was less nostalgia, and more necessity. The DIY era we are in now has brought many of us back home and learning or relearning, those "domestic" skills. Social Media is now flowing with creative home energy from gardening, to canning, to making your own clothes. I am no different, and I am thankful I grew up in a DIY household back in the 70's and 80's.

So get outdoors this weekend! Go play in the dirt and appreciate all those new plants popping up in your gardens. Take a walk or hike at your community parks and have compassion for all those new creatures who just arrived. Take your shoes off, read a book, draw a picture with your kids, and blessings! 🍅🏡 (Please visit my new site!) https://sandybock.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment